We asked you to submit your idea to shape the future of transport.
Transport for NSW (TfNSW) was looking to harness new ideas to solve the complex transport issues that face Sydney as our population continues to grow and as we experience unprecedented levels of development investment.
To explore new products and ideas that can influence customer travel behaviours, TfNSW’s Sydney Coordination Office (SCO), in conjunction with Future Transport, launched the Travel Choices Innovation Challenge. Sydney is undergoing some major transport changes and we want to reduce the impact of major construction on customers and to shape long term, sustainable travel behaviour. Our goal was to increase travel time reliability and reduce private vehicle trips as we build Tomorrow’s Sydney.
The SCO is responsible for transport coordination across Sydney, extending beyond the CBD. SCO established a hugely successful travel behaviour program, Travel Choices, to support the construction of the CBD and South East Light Rail and Travel Choices is now expanding this program to other areas including the B-Line corridor and Macquarie Park precinct. Travel Choices is the behaviour change program that, alongside network management and capacity creation, forms the SCO’s integrated travel demand management approach. The Travel Choices Innovation Challenge invites you to create an innovative product using TfNSW’s open data to support the expansion of the Travel Choices program. TfNSW has been actively making travel data open since 2012 and all data supporting this initiative is made available via the TfNSW Open Data Hub.
Entries in the Travel Choices Innovation Challenge needed to address two inter-related mandatory challenges below. Applications could also look to address some or all of the additional challenges (see FAQs).
- How can we develop a product to provide information to our customers that persuades and enables them to remode, retime, reroute and reduce their journeys by promoting the financial, social, environmental and health benefits for our commuting customers and the costs of private vehicle use?
- How can we use open data (and other existing tools and products) to make it easier for customers to obtain and interpret travel information which is specific to their needs?
ABOUT THE CHALLENGE
The aim of the challenge was to prompt innovative thinking around digital products and services that could provide customers with trip planning information alongside messages that encourage customer travel behaviour change. Travel Choices utilises the following principles to engage with customers and influence travel behaviour change:
- Remode – Customer Message: Use public transport as driving may no longer be your best option
- Retime – Customer Message: Avoid travel during the peak.
- Reroute – Customer Message: Use preferred driving routes where possible.
- Reduce – Customer Message: Minimise the number of times you have to travel, especially by car.
We looked for products that utilised the TfNSW open data to support the above principles of the program and considers the function and useability of existing tools and products. The product should make it easier for customers to obtain and interpret travel information which is specific to their needs in a way that also should influence travel behaviour. Applications needed to attempt to support all four principles of the Travel Choices program. You can find out about Travel Choices and the work that the program has done in the CBD at our website: http://mysydneycbd.nsw.gov.au/supporting-business/travel-choices. Products will be launched to the market in Q3/4 2017.
Why get involved
Challenge winners received endorsement as the TfNSW Travel Choices preferred product. This means promotion of the product to the 644 CBD businesses already engaged with the Travel Choices program and the 169,200 customers that form part of the program’s audience. These numbers will continue to increase as the program grows. Further endorsement may include:
- Incubation support to get the product live
- Inclusion in media activities such as press releases, social media campaigns and promotion on transportnsw.info, Open Data hub, Developer Portal, and Tomorrow’s Sydney Travel Choices webpages
- Promoted to businesses and customers via Travel Choices collateral
- Ongoing support and partnership with transport agencies
HOW THE CHALLENGE WORKED
Applications closed on Friday 23 June. There were a series of questions in the form linked to the Judging Criteria below. Successful applicants (finalists) wiere invited to pitch their ideas to a judging panel. Winners then entered the incubation program in preparation for endorsement by TfNSW and to launch their product.
TfNSW endorses products that are of high quality, innovative and solve customer problems. Endorsed products were required to meet the following Judging Criteria, including factors such as:
- Customer Experience
- Market Feasibility
- Commercial Sustainability
- Technical Feasibility
Finalists’ products were rigorously tested before being endorsed and launched to the market.
Past Key dates
Applications open – Friday 2 June
RSVP to Briefing session – Thursday 8 June COB
Briefing session – Thursday 8 June
Applications close – Friday 23 June
Finalists advised – Thursday 29 June
Pitch day – Tuesday 11 July
Winners informed – Friday 25 August
To find out more about the apps that made it through our incubation process and were officially endorsed by Transport for NSW please click on the button below.