This dataset contains Official Ferry Utilisation figures. Opal tap-on/tap-off data (representing an individual entering & exiting a wharf), is allocated to a route and aggregated to a monthly figure for the estimated number of trips.
- School Student travel using concessional Opal cards is included. However this may be underrepresented, due to inconsistent tap-on/tap-off behaviour by students
- Magnetic Stripe Ticketing (MST – paper tickets) data was also available in July 2016. MST patronage data for July is available here: http://www.bts.nsw.gov.au/ArticleDocuments/233/Jul-16_MST_patronage_all_...
- Opal data may be subject to minor revision for the two months following upload
- Data is static at a point in time, and may not match other reports that are real time
- All non-Opal travel is excluded, for example transport concession entitlement cards, integrated ticketing for major events, and fare non-compliance
- An Opal Trip is defined as a tap-on/tap-off pair (including where only a single tap-on or tap-off is recorded)
- Contactless Travel Payment (CTP) trial started on 6 July 2017 for the F1 Manly/Circular Quay ferry service
- The timetable change on 26 November 2017 results in new route definitions with new patronage splits. This change makes patronage comparisons by route inconsistent before and after this date. The splits by route will be continually updated each month to adjust for changes in commuter behaviour in response to the change in timetable
- Historical data may change as new Opal data and patronage route splits becomes available for reporting
Data and Resources
- Opal Ferry Trip Counts - by month, route and card typecsv
Monthly data, July 2016 to February 2023.
- Opal Card Typespdf
transportnsw.info provides you with additional information regards each card type.
- Opal Ferry Monthly Trips - NO LONGER UPDATEDcsv
Opal ferry trips by month, route and card type, from July 2016 to October 2021.
This resource has been superseded by "Opal Ferry Trip Counts - by month, route and card type".
|Release Date|| |
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Location|| |
Sydney Ferries Network and Newcastle Buses (Stockton Ferry)
|Temporal Coverage|| |
Time (month), line and card type
|Public Access Level|| |