This dataset contains Official Train Utilisation figures. Opal tap-on/tap-off data (representing an individual entering & exiting a station), is allocated to a line and aggregated to a monthly figure for the estimated number of trips.
(1) The timetable change on 26 November 2017 results in new line definitions and patronage splits by line for the period 26-30 November and all subsequent months.
(2) A more accurate methodology for assigning trips to train line and operator has been applied to patronage from July 2017 onwards resulting in changes a revision to July – November 2017 patronage previously reported.
1. School Student travel using concessional Opal cards is included. However this may be underrepresented, due to inconsistent tap-on/tap-off behaviour by students
2. Magnetic Stripe Ticketing (MST – paper tickets) data was also available in July 2016. MST patronage data for July is available here
3. Opal data may be subject to minor revision for the two months following upload
4. Data is static at a point in time, and may not match other reports that are real time
5. All non-Opal travel is excluded, for example transport concession entitlement cards, integrated ticketing for major events, and fare non-compliance
6. An Opal Trip is defined as a tap-on/tap-off pair (including where only a single tap-on or tap-off is recorded)
7. The timetable change on 26 November 2017 results in new line definitions with new patronage splits. This change makes patronage comparisons by line inconsistent before and after this date. The splits by line will be continually updated each month to adjust for changes in commuter behaviour in response to the change in timetable.
8. Historical data may change as new Opal data and patronage line splits becomes available for reporting.
9. Station Link, a high frequency bus service temporarily replaces train services for the closure of Macquarie University, Macquarie Park and North Ryde train stations while upgrading to Sydney Metro Northwest standards. Effective from 30th September 2018 for approximately 7 months.
Data and Resources
|Modified Date|| |
|Release Date|| |
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Location|| |
Sydney Trains and NSW TrainLink (Intercity train lines only)
|Temporal Coverage|| |
Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 14:00
Time (month), operator, train line and card type
|Public Access Level|| |