****ENTRIES HAVE NOW CLOSED!****
About the challenge
Do you have a world leading MaaS (Mobility as a Service) product and are seeking to extend or trial and launch it in NSW?
Can you create a mobile app for customers in the Waverley Local Government Area (LGA) that gives greater access to transport options including shared mobility services?
This challenge by Transport for NSW (TfNSW) with Waverley Council is a unique opportunity to earn seed funding, support and promotion for a 12 month trial.
MaaS is a dynamic, growing market with small and large transport options working together. It is a service that sits between customers and their mobility options with the goal of enabling seamless travel.
It is one of the strategies to reduce road congestion by cutting down private car single person usage by providing more convenient mobility options that customers want.
This challenge provides finalists the unique opportunity to create a mobile app or other digital product which can integrate defined pick-up and drop-off zones (PUDO’s) so customers in the Waverley area can seamlessly plan and access a wide range of transport options. Finalists chosen to be part of our incubation program will also receive support to integrate and share their data via the TfNSW Open Data Hub, and have special access to transport subject matter experts from both Waverley Council and TfNSW.
- Trial a MaaS customer solution in the Waverley LGA.
- Ease road congestion and reduce parking demand.
- Encourage the use of designated safe pick-up/drop-off zones.
- Enable multimodal trip planning that will increase transport options for customers.
- Integrate both public transport and privately owned shared transport service providers in a customer facing digital product.
- Share data and insights to assist with analysis and future planning.
- Identify safe and continuous routes for prams, wheelchairs and children on bicycles.
- Identify a range of journey options for a defined trip that includes total journey route, cost and time.
- Calculate driving, cycling and walking directions to final destination including where a trip contains multiple segments and modes.
- Identify and include Electric Vehicle (EV) charging points within a journey plan.
How the challenge works
Applications opened on Thursday 6 February 2020. Any interested applicants will have the opportunity to ask subject matter experts at the Information Session to help their submissions. The Information Session was held on Thursday 6 February 2020, 5:30pm - 7:00pm at Waverley Council Chambers 49A Bondi Rd, Bondi Junction.
Information Session Presentation - Waverley Transport Information Session, March 6, 2020
Information Session Recording - Watch replay on Twitter Live @TfNSWData
The Information Session provided an opportunity for developers and interested parties to ask questions and get information before applications are submitted by Wednesday 19 February 2020 at 11:59pm.
Submissions have now closed, and the applications will be assessed and ranked by a judging panel. Finalists will be invited to pitch their ideas on the Pitch Day Event on Wednesday 4 March 2020 to the judging panel with the winning team/developer announced following the pitches.
The developers/teams will then have until June 2020 to create and finalise their app through an incubation phase to start the 12 month trial in the Waverley Council LGA.
Key Challenge Dates
Applications Open - Thursday 6 February 2020
Information Session - Thursday 6th February 2020, 5:30pm - 7:00pm at Waverley Council Chambers 49A Bondi Rd, Bondi Junction.
Applications Close - Wednesday 19 February 2020 at 11:59pm
Pitch Day Event - Wednesday 4 March 2020 (subject to change)
Finalists Notified - April 2020