About the Challenge
Augmented Reality (AR) is an exciting emerging technology that has potential to improve the customer experience for transport users in NSW. AR technology is early in its development phase with new platforms and smart devices such as wearables being developed and iterated at a rapid pace. Influential technology companies are investing heavily in AR which is accelerating the pace of change in the sector. Transport for NSW (TfNSW) is running the AR Innovation Challenge to better understand the capabilities and limitations of AR technologies, discover novel solutions to existing customer problems and inform future decision making around digital product development, safety and policy.
The Virtual Information Session was held on 21 April 2021 via Zoom. A recording of the session is available below, with Q&A asked by the audience available on the FAQ page.
The key objective of the AR Innovation Challenge is to showcase what is possible with Augmented Reality for Transport for NSW or our customers. This will take form as a hands-on demonstration day (Demo Day) to be held in June 2021. The Demo Day will provide innovators a chance to show off their cutting edge solutions. It will also give internal TfNSW stakeholders an opportunity to get a hands-on understanding of how the technology works and understand the risks and possibilities of the technology.
Can you create a safe, user-friendly, Augmented Reality solution that will improve the customer experience for transport users?
- Use existing open data to create an Augmented Reality solution for customers
- Improved Public Transport trip planning and usability Navigating major transit hubs such as train and Metro stations
- Create useful public transport related open data for developers of augmented reality technologies
- Improve safety on public transport
- Safely provide augmented reality options for drivers or car passengers
- Solutions can include applications for public transport, freight, roads and maritime.
Information Session - Wed 21 April 2021, 2:00PM AEST
Submissions Close - Wed 5 May 2021, 11:59PM AEST
Invitations for Pitch Day sent - Wed 12 May 2021
Pitch Day - Wed 19 May 2021
Invitations for Demo Day - Fri 21 May 2021
Demo Days - Wed 23, Thurs 24, Fri 25 June 2021
Information Session Recording